Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Running...

That's one of my goals this summer, to run a lot more. Well, it's really a sub goal to a bigger goal of mine this summer, but I'll mention that later.

So it rained today, and I ran in it. It was perfect. Most of the time I can't stand running without music in because the sound of my own breathing and pounding on the pavement drives me crazy. I usually need something to distract my mind from over thinking too much, but today I just didn't want that. I wanted to listen to the rain fall on my jacket, and hear the sound of the water rushing down the streets as I climbed up them. I wanted the freedom to think about what I'm going to do next. Most of all, I wanted that opportunity to build my inner strength, the courage that I can do great things. The mind is one of the hardest things to overcome on runs and I feel like mine hasn't been in the right place lately. I feel like I need to retrain my brain to think good things, and to trust myself that I can do things that I set out to do, good things. I will no longer accept defeat from myself. I can do great things.

I mentioned before that I have a big goal for myself this summer. Most probably won't know what I'm talking about because it deals with rugby, but I'll tell it anyways. Currently I am a back. I've played most positions in the back line with my favorite probably being scrumhalf. We lost a lot of people at the end of this season for multiple reasons (graduation, missions...) so next year should be my chance to impact the team and become an asset to them. I would also like to try out new things. It's probably a little crazy, but I want to train for a forward position. That way if things don't work out with the backs I can try with the forwards, or vice versa. If they don't work out for either, then maybe it isn't for me anymore. All sorts of crazy thoughts running through my head these days! Anyways, the plan is to run more and to lift and strengthen my body and mind more for the upcoming season. It's going to be a great summer!

No comments: